Monday, September 19, 2005

You spin me right round

This weekend, when I wasn't blowing my nose, I worked on some yarn with my hand spindle. I've been trying to learn how to spin, and it seems like practicing from time to time is a good idea. This green yarn is what I'm working on right now. It's a little tight, and very thin. I know it'll puff up a bit when it's washed, but I'm not sure I like it so thin. It's the neurotic control freak in me that leads to work coming out too tightly wound, but it's also that lovely characteristic that prevents me from being pleased with my first attempts and their sorry results. Meh.
This pink yarn was my first attempt at spinning. I used some roving I had left over from a needle felting project, which is how I came to make hot pink yarn. It was fairly tight to begin with, and washing puffed it up, so maybe I'm on the right track. If I can just give up the idea of making yarn of a consistent thickness and be happy with thick and thin yarn, I'll be all set.

I'm going down to Oregon this weekend, to go to a Flock and Fiber festival with my friend Sarah. (Of Sarah's Homestead fame.) I'm thrilled that I'll finally get to see her homestead and meet all her critters! And we're sure to have a blast at the festival! Since it's my first one, I'm not sure what to expect. But I do believe I'll be coming home with more than a little fiber and/or yarn to keep me busy for a while.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Your green yarn looks great!

We will shop 'til we drop this weekend at the festival, you better believe it.

I plan on having a lot of "business expenses" ;)

-Sarah
http://www.slaphog.com/sarahblog/

Anonymous said...

Have fun at the fiber festival!

The green yarn looks nice, I also like the pink yarn. Isn't spinning, even with a handspindle, addictive?